Instituto Familiar de la Raza, Inc. is a multi-service community health and social service agency with an emphasis on serving the Chicano/Latino/Indígena community in San Francisco with a special focus on the diverse needs of the Mission District. Services include a wide range of mental health, HIV-related services, and social services, including health promotion, education, prevention, early intervention, case management, psychological and psychiatric interventions, as well as cultural/social and spiritual re-enforcement. The agency serves children, youth, adults and families. It has a rich history of working collaboratively with other agencies to meet the needs of the Chicano/Latino/Indígena community and other cultural/racial communities in San Francisco.
This position will serve primarily as a Maintenance Technician. This position is to manage the agency operations by maintaining building maintenance. As the Maintenance Technician, this position is responsible for ensuring compliance with health and safety standards set forth by OSHA. This person will provide a wide variety of semi-skilled maintenance duties related to the agency in addition to duties including preventative, corrective, emergency, cosmetic, and routine maintenance for the HQ property and any off-site properties (6 total).
This position will oversee contractual agreements (regarding operations) on behalf of the agency, in collaboration with the operations director, to purchase janitorial supplies and hire contractual building maintenance personnel.
Overall, the Facility Coordinator-Maintenance Technician plays a crucial role in creating a well-maintained, efficient, and safe environment for the occupants of a facility. Their responsibilities encompass a wide range of tasks that contribute to the overall functionality and success of the facility.
Essential Job Duties are, but are not limited to the following:
Maintenance Technician Job Duties:
- Maintenance and Repairs: Planning and coordinating maintenance activities, repairs, and renovations to ensure the facility is in good working condition and meets safety standards, including and not limited to fire extinguishers yearly inspections, fire clearance, fire sprinklers and back-flow system.
- Maintains general office equipment and small kitchen appliances.
- Security and Safety: Implementing and maintaining security measures, emergency response plans, and safety protocols to safeguard the facility and its occupants.
- Vendor Management: Collaborating with external vendors, contractors, and service providers for facility-related services, such as cleaning, landscaping, and maintenance.
- Hire and work closely with outside support services staff when involved in special projects
- Budgeting and Cost Control: Informing and managing budgets for facility-related expenses and identifying opportunities for cost savings and efficiency improvements.
- Utilities Management: Monitoring and managing utilities such as electricity, water, and heating/cooling systems to optimize resource usage and reduce costs.
- Environmental Sustainability: Implementing and promoting environmentally sustainable practices within the facility, including waste reduction, energy efficiency, and green building initiatives.
- Coordination of Moves and Changes: Facilitating the relocation of personnel or equipment within the facility, including office moves, building of furniture, equipment installations, and reconfigurations.
- Communication and Coordination: Serve as a liaison between various departments within the organization and coordinate communications related to facility operations and changes. Responsible for overseeing the Service Requisition for facilities-related requests.
- Compliance: Ensuring the facility complies with relevant regulations, building codes, and health and safety standards.
- Event Planning: Coordinating and overseeing events held within the facility, such as meetings, conferences, and special events.
- Space Management: Coordinating the allocation and optimal utilization of space within the facility, including office layouts, meeting rooms and common areas.
- Attends and participates in monthly management meetings in addition to agency-wide meetings and events.
- Master Key Holder, in charge of facility keys and distribution of keys to employees.
- Report on daily tasks to the Operations Director in a monthly report.
- Responsible for after-hour emergency calls, including weekends and holidays, as necessary.
- Be in charge of security systems and assigning/maintaining security codes for employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Operations Director.
- Excellent interpersonal communicational skills with proficiency in written and oral English (Spanish strongly preferred)
- Three (3) combined years of experience working in a facility operations environment with a maintenance capacity.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Advanced knowledge of office procedures and systems.
- Must have strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other computer systems.
- Flexibility and willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- The position requires a team-oriented individual possessing strong electromechanical aptitude and skills with a minimum of two (2) years of technical service experience.
- Competent skills regarding the operation of small hand and electrical tools, basic electrical, carpentry, painting, and small machinery repair.
- Possess general knowledge of tools, materials, and methods for minor repairs on electrical and plumbing of the agency as well as drywall repair and painting.
- A minimum of (3) three years experience supervising or managing others.
- Have the ability to work some nights and weekends when necessary.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- Associate Arts Degree in electrical /mechanical engineering, business administration, or a combination of equivalent work experience.
- General Knowledge of electricity and electrical panels and understanding of how the mechanical parts work, such as the central heater, etc.
CONDITIONS OF CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass and maintain annual Tuberculosis Test.
- Must pass Department of Justice Fingerprint screening.
- Must provide proof of COVID-19 Vaccination upon hire (reasonable accommodation requests will be considered)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS²
The salary is $31.38 - $35.86/hour - a part-time at 60% (21 hours a week)– Non-Exempt position
All full-time positions are based on a minimum of (35) thirty-five hours per week.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position at 21 hours a week (60%). The position is eligible to participate in medical, dental, vision, and 403(b) plans, earn vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, and receive ongoing opportunities for learning.
The physical demands described here are representative of that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Good general health, physical stamina, and emotional stability are essential.
- Ability to hear within normal range and communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner that can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking, including a diverse population.
- Requires physical ability to remain seated at a desk for long periods of time and manual dexterity to operate work processing equipment with skill, speed, and accuracy.
- Must be able to sit and view the computer for long periods of time.
- Activities that occur infrequently are: bending, squatting, crouching, kneeling, twisting, reaching straight above or below shoulders.
- Ability to move quickly to address emergency or potentially dangerous situations.
- Ability to use public and/or private modes of transportation; duties are office-based, but travel to other offsite locations is required.
- General alertness to address emergency or potentially dangerous situations.
- On occasion, it must lift up to 45 LBS.
Interested applicants should send an email to j[email protected] with “Facilities Coordinator (Maintenance Technician) ” in the subject line and include:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in Instituto Familiar de la Raza and the position
- A resume
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Instituto Familiar de la Raza is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, culture, age, disability, gender, or sexual orientation. People of color are encouraged to apply.
² Please note that IFR reserves the right to change its benefits and contributions at any time at its sole discretion.