Under the direction of the Prevention & Wellness Coordinator, the Health Educator is responsible for providing individual, group and community level HIV prevention interventions to Latino men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender women. The Health Educator position will be located at the Latino Wellness Center and will work within a multidisciplinary team.
Si a la Vida–Integrated HIV Services offers a continuum of HIV services to diverse Latino communities in San Francisco, including HIV prevention and mental health services. Our goals are to support Latinos in reducing their risk of HIV infection and transmission; to improve the quality of life of those living with and at risk of HIV; and to reduce stigma related to HIV, sexual orientation and gender identity. We accomplish this through client-centered, nonjudgmental, culturally and linguistically appropriate services.
Essential Job Duties are, but not limited to the following:
- Conduct individual risk reduction sessions with Latino MSM and transgender women
- Provide HIV testing and counseling onsite and at community events
- Plan and co-facilitate educational, support groups and workshops
- Conduct street and venue-based outreach
- Participate in creating multi-media social marketing projects
- Collect service data and enter into database accurately
- Maintain required documentation and observe client confidentiality
- Work well with a multidisciplinary team and other collaborators
- Maintain reliable attendance and participation in team and agency meetings
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Required Education and SkillsBilingual skills required (bicultural preferred)
- A.A. degree in Health Education, college certificate or equivalent plus two (2) years of experience in HIV prevention and/or LGBTQ health or social services (two additional years of work related experience can substitute for the AA degree)
- Demonstrated experience working with Latino men who have sex with men and transgender women on issues of sexual orientation, gender identity, immigration and access to health and wellness services
- Experience in group facilitation and developing group activities
- Ability to take initiative and work independently within a large multidisciplinary team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to follow protocols for individual and group interventions
- Ability to keep sensitive client information confidential and maintain ethical boundaries and professional conduct
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and social media sites
Conditions of Continued Employment
- Available to work a few evenings each week and some weekends for community events
- Certification in HIV Test Counseling will be given priority
- Must pass and maintain annual Tuberculosis Test
- Must pass Department of Justice Fingerprint screening
- Complete annual recurrent on-line training submit to a tuberculosis test
This is a full-time non-exempt position with benefits. The hiring range for this position is $23.63 - $24.18 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience.
All full-time positions at IFR are 35 hours per week and are eligible to participate in medical health benefit plans including dental, vision, sick leave, thirteen paid holidays and on-going opportunities for learning.
Please submit your resume and thoughtful cover letter indicating why you wish to join the Si a la Vida team, and provide a description of your working experience or affiliation with the LGBTQ community. Send electronically in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate SLV Health Educator in the subject line of your email. Please note that both a resume and cover letter are required for consideration.
Instituto Familiar de la Raza, is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, culture, age, disability, gender, or sexual orientation. People of color are encouraged to apply.